Sunday, October 11, 2009

10/11/09 I nearly forgot today’s entry

I have spent the last two days studying for my midterms. I’m grateful that all three of them were pushed back. Otherwise, I would not have done well on them at all. I’m concentrating on 195 and 2. I’m grateful that 100W doesn’t have a midterm. At least now, I have a chance to study a little to be somewhat prepared. I don’t think I’ve ever been more confused about the information I’m learning.

Everything seems to be jumbled and I’m having a hard time trying to figure out how things relate to each other. For example, it took me a while to realize that simple-random sampling and systematic sampling are two different categories. And within probability and non-probability sampling are different types of sampling. Simple-random, systematic, stratified, and cluster samples are types of probability sampling. Accidental, purposive, quota, and snowball samples are different types of non-probability sampling. Things are starting to fall into place slowly.

I will be happy when these two midterms are over. I will have next weekend to prepare for the midterm in 154. I have to admit, 154 is not as dry and boring as I had anticipated. I thought the class, which is about US foreign policy, would focus only on the Middle East. I really don’t care about what happens there. I’m more interested in the US government and domestic issues. There is something to be said about isolationism. I also dislike globalization.

Anyway, Professor Danopoulos’ discussion was on foreign policy during the Vietnam era, 1945-1975. I studied this issue for Poli 4 so understanding this part of the lecture was easy for me. When given the opportunity, I like to study events related to the 1960s and 1970s. This is the most fascinating period of time in history. US society was going through a lot of uncomfortable growing pains. I wish I had been born in the 1940s so I could have experienced the 1960s as a young adult; I was just born too late.

However, I digress. Once midterms are over, I can focus on all the different assignments that will be due in the eight weeks. I don’t expect to do too well on these midterms, but I expect to improve my grades with the upcoming assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment