Sunday, October 4, 2009

10/4/09 The curtain is coming down on the 2009 season…

I’m sitting here “jumping” back and forth between the A’s and Giants games. This is officially the last game of the regular season for 2009. I am in deep mourning. Baseball is my favorite sport. I can tolerate football and hockey, while I absolutely loathe basketball. The 1989 Bay Bridge World Series, between the A’s and Giants, was my ideal Shangri-la.

There are some changes that I’d like to see for the 2010 season. First off, Bud Selig MUST BE FIRED! The man is incompetent beyond belief. I have never forgiven him for declaring a tie in the 2002 All-Star Game in Milwaukee, and I never will. Selig is a spineless jellyfish that has an ineffective drug policy. He is unwilling to face the fact that drugs are being used in Major League Baseball or is unwilling to do anything about it. Bring back Bart Giamatti or Fay Vincent.

Secondly, Bob Garen, manager of the A’s, MUST BE FIRED! The man has no personality. I don’t believe he was ever qualified to manage, so how he got the assignment, I’ll never know. The most important thing to consider is the A’s record; they are currently 75-86. Last year, the A’s had a losing season that was just as bad as this year. Additionally, the players don’t seem to have a happy environment in the clubhouse. The players are not happy with Garen as manager.

Third, Garen needs to go but Billy Beane will not fire him. Which brings me to my next point: Billy Beane needs to go as well. I may be flayed for my opinion, but this is how I feel. Beane made several wise and shrewd decisions in the early 2000s, but lately, none of his decisions make sense. Time to go Mr. Beane…

Lastly, it’s time to cut Eric Chavez loose. Actually, I think his contract ends tomorrow. As much as I liked Chavvy, he’s never lived up to his potential. Injuries have been his Waterloo. Let’s sign Adam Kennedy to a long-term contract, and wish Chavvy luck in the future. Thanks Chavvy for the memories and 6 gold glove seasons.

I don’t really have any complaints about the Giants. They had a really good season this year. I love all of the Giants’ broadcasters. On TV, it’s Krukow and Kuiper (Kruk and Kuip); on the radio it’s Jon Miller, Dave Flemming, and occasionally JT Snow. All are excellent at what they do. I would advise JT Snow to put his uniform back on and become a coach. He doesn’t really have the personality for radio and TV commentary.

The Giants need to make Brad Penny, Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Barry Zito, and Randy Johnson their starting rotation. They should keep Joe Martinez as part of the bullpen.

These are the things I want to see changed for the 2010 season. I’m counting the days until spring training. It’s gonna be a loooooong off-season...

My vocabulary words are:
Shrewd: clever (Webster's American pocket dictionary)
Ubiquitous: present everywhere at the same time (Webster's American pocket dictionary)

No comments:

Post a Comment