Sunday, November 15, 2009

11/15/09 Oh man, what a bummer…

I wrote in an earlier blog about a trip to Washington, DC during spring break 2010. This was something I was really looking forward to. It’s been twenty-five years since I’ve been to DC. However, Professor Gerston informed us that the trip had been cancelled. I just don’t understand why this happened. On the surface, there seemed to be a lot of positive feedback about this activity. I am absolutely crushed that this trip is not going to happen.

In reality, only seven people officially signed up and made their initial payment. I had already paid the full $1893 for the trip; this is how serious I was about participating. I was looking forward to the required “class” meetings, the required readings, and the 20-page paper due at the end of the semester.

I just received my reimbursement check yesterday. I consider myself lucky that I got the full total back. As I filled out the application for the trip, I read that the initial deposit of $500 was not refundable–unless trip insurance was purchased for an additional $250. I didn’t buy the insurance because I thought it would be a waste due to the initial amount of interest in the trip. I am really relieved that I got a full refund.

Now that the DC trip is a no-go, what to do, what to do? Being in DC is like living in history. I’m now seriously considering going to DC on my own. I want to see the Supreme Court, the Capitol Mall, the memorials, Arlington National Cemetery, the Washington Monument, the Vietnam War Memorial–the tourist sites are endless!

You know, now that I think about it, I am really convincing myself to do this on my own. Now, if only I know someone who lives there…hang on! My stepsister lives there and works for the DOJ. I wonder if she’ll put me up for a week. Hmmm…

My vocabulary words are:
Pundit: an expert (Webster's American pocket dictionary)
Nefarious: wicked (Webster's American pocket dictionary)

No comments:

Post a Comment