Sunday, November 29, 2009

11/29/09 My education and employment history. Part II.

This is a continuation from last week…

Jealousy was a powerful motivator for me to go back to college. I was older and more committed to my education than I was when I went to Foothill. By June 2003, I graduated with an AA in liberal arts. I finally had the celebration and the pomp and circumstance that I wanted. However, I was not satisfied with a degree in liberal arts; it was a common-as-muck field of study. There must have been at least 150 other students who graduated as liberal arts majors. I wanted a challenge.

I saw the counselor again and started to take more speech and communications classes. I had a very high degree of success in those speech classes. My grade in all of those speech classes was ‘A’ except for one ‘B’. By June 2006, I graduated with an AA in Speech Communication. I transferred to SJSU in fall semester 2007 and I resigned my job at De Anza Bookstore.

I transferred to SJSU as a Communications major with a minor in Political Science. This was my concentration for a year and a half. Even though I was earning ‘As’ in comm studies, I was struggling with all the new information. The theories were challenging because I had never dealt with them before. Research is the key component of comm studies classes. I absolutely hate research, and I realized that I didn’t want to do research as my profession. I was really dissatisfied with my decision to be a comm studies major. I made a list of pros and cons about changing my major. Eventually, I flip-flopped my major and minor.

I had a really inspirational professor in my first poli sci class–Professor Gerston. The way he structures his classes coincides with my learning style. I love how he ties lecture concepts to current political events. He also has a really good attitude; I can tell that he enjoys teaching. My first class with him was state politics–poli 102. I remember on the first midterm–hell it was my first midterm at SJSU ever–I got the only ‘A’ in the class. Earning that grade and an overall ‘A’ in the class really boosted my confidence. I have been highly successful in poli sci.

Now I’m approaching graduation. I am really contented with the effort I put into my classes. My current GPA of 3.77 is the highest GPA I’ve ever had, including high school. Since I don’t have a job, I will need to start looking for one soon. It is going to be difficult in this economy to find one. One job that I have wanted in the past is to work in the state governmental bureaucracy. Specifically I want to work in the Registrar of Voters office. I have worked in 10 elections as a precinct inspector so I have some experience. Being a laborer is a big part of my identity and I have missed working in the last three years. I’m looking forward to joining the workforce again.

My vocabulary words are:
Eschew: to avoid (Webster's American pocket dictionary)
Emissary: an agent sent on a mission (Webster's American pocket dictionary)

No comments:

Post a Comment