Sunday, November 22, 2009

11/22/09 My education and employment history. Part I.

I am a graduating senior in May 2010. I never thought this day would come. My college years have spanned from 1995-2010. In reality, I have been in school for about 10 years even though school has spanned 15 years.

I spent two years at Foothill College. I went there in 1995, just after high school. At the time, I was not interested in going onto college. I was burned out after high school. My parents were adamant that I go to college. As a compromise, I went to Foothill. I didn’t do very well there because I didn’t have the motivation to succeed in addition to other personal issues going on in my life. After spring quarter 1997, I dropped out with a measly 2.57 GPA.

In Dec. 1994, I had gotten a part time job at a drugstore. After I dropped out of Foothill, I became a full time photo department clerk from 1997-1998. I was successful in that job so I received a promotion in 1998. I became the Supervisor of the Photo Lab. I trained and scheduled lab techs, was in charge of maintenance and machine upkeep, ordered and inventoried supplies, processed customer orders, and forwarded monthly reports to Sacramento. By Jan. 2001, things deteriorated in the lab, so I quit and got a new job.

In Dec. 2000, I started a new job at De Anza College Bookstore as the Customer Service Assistant. I remember that I was late to the interview by about five minutes. After assuring the hiring committee that my lateness was a fluke and that I lived within ten minutes door-to-door of the store, I completed the interview. Two and a half hours later, the Assistant Director called and offered me the job. For a month, my two jobs overlapped; I worked out my two-week notice at the drugstore and at De Anza in Dec. 2000.

In summer quarter 2001, I decided to take a volleyball PE class. For eight months, I had been thinking about returning to school. The class was an easy ‘A’, so I registered for a class in fall quarter 2001. Again, the class was an easy ‘A’, and so the process repeated itself. I worked full time at the Bookstore and took one class a quarter. This accounts for why my college education has spanned 10 years.

My brother had graduated from Yale in 2002. I attended his graduation. As his house, Morse College, conducted its commencement ceremony, I was overcome by a powerful wave of jealousy. I wanted the celebration. I wanted the pomp and circumstance. I wanted to be the center of attention and have the world revolve around me for a day. When I got back from his graduation, I went to see a counselor to assess my classes.


To be continued…

My vocabulary words are:
Eclectic: chosen from various sources (Webster's American pocket dictionary)
Callow: immature (Webster's American pocket dictionary)

No comments:

Post a Comment